|(The plaque left - unveiled 23 October 2009 is fixed on the outside of the sixth form block at the new Rednock School, Dursley and, overlooks the original site of Captain Grahams house. The writing on the plaque states - |
"Erected to commemorate the contribution that Captain Graham made to the community of Dursley and his efforts reviving the Irish Wolfhound. This school building stands on the site of the country estaste previously known as Oaklands, renamed Rednock by Captain Graham when he came to live here in 1865
Born in Bath in 1833 an early pupil of Cheltenham College, George Graham's family had a strong military background and links to the Scottish Grahams of Rednock House, Port of Menteith in Perthshire. In 1852 he was commissioned into the 28TH Native Infantry and served with several Bengal Army regiments in Northern India until 1862. On returning to Britain, Graham settled at Rednock where he embarked on a personal mission, lasting more than 40 years to save the Irish Wolfhound from extinction. Through a controlled breeding programme and meticulous recording of pedgrees, the Irish wolfhound was re-established. Graham founded the Irish Wolfhound Club in 1885, of which he ws president until 1908. It was at his suggestion that the Irish Guards adopted an Irish Wolfhound as Regimental Mascot.
Within the Dursley community Captain Graham was an influential figure. He served as a magistrate, becoming Chairman of the Dursley Bench, was the first Chairman of the Parish Council and took an active part in the local church and sporting organizations.
He died at Rednock in 1909 and is buried with his wife, Lydia Caroline, at St Mark's Church in the town"